About the project
The project is carried out by the Joint Venture Baggerbedrijf De Boer B.V. – Boskalis B .V.
The Suriname River is the main shipping route to the port of Paramaribo. Due to the silting, the draft is limited and ships cannot enter fully loaded or they are dependent on the tide. For safe navigation of ships and for a major economic importance, especially for the oil and gas industry, the access channel will have to be deepened. To achieve this, the first phase of the contract consists of:
- Surveying the entire route over a length of 68 km (pre-dredge survey/measurement)
- Deepening the access channel to -4.75 meters CD
- Widening the access channel to a minimum of 70m and 90m
- Measuring the entire route over a length of 68 km (post-dredge survey)
- After deepening the access channel, maintenance dredging will be carried out over a period of two years to maintain the depth